Joomla 5 Notice

We are pleased to announce that as of January 29, 2024, all of our Joomla extensions are compatible with Joomla 5.

For all who are still updateing from Joomla 3 to Joomla 4: Joomla 4 Migration instructions are available here:

There is now a separate Documentation for Visforms for Joomla 4 and for Visforms for Joomla 5!

Forum

Visforms Subscription user can ask questions in our forum. Please log in with the relevant user first.
Everybody can access the forum for reading.

Please only ask 1 question per topic.

Email Receipt Text - length limit?

More
8 years 3 months ago #2406 by mikepritchard
Email Receipt Text - length limit? was created by mikepritchard
I am using Visforms Version 3.1.1
and have a longer email receipt I need to send.
After lots of testing I have found I can't send out the email if the text is too long.
Is there a solution for this?

I know that is the problem because I am testing with my own email address. So I get the email registration but don't get the email confirmation (email receipt text).

Thanks,
Mike

More
8 years 3 months ago #2407 by Administrator AV
Replied by Administrator AV on topic Email Receipt Text - length limit?
Hi Mike,

Visforms 3.1.1 is quite an old version, running on Joomla! 3.3.5 which is an old Joomla! Version that is no longer supported as well.
Although you can download Visforms version, that run on Joomla! 3.3.5 or lower (and even Joomla! 2.5) there is no further development for those Visforms versions.

In the time since the release of Visforms 3.1.1 I have made to major adjustments to the mailing.

1. Add replayTo header to mail (hopefully less problems with being blocked as spam): Mailfrom should always use the registered domain name of the website to prevent mails from being classified as spam (by relay server). (Visforms 3.2.0)

2. Mails are sometimes blocked by spam filters due to too many characters in one line. Set encoding option in mails to enforce proper line breaks. (Visforms 3.4.3)

Actually I think, that your problems with sending mails with long text are those which where fixed by the 2. code change.
If you do not want to update your website to a current Jooma! Version (3.4.8 ) and update Visforms as well to the latest stable version (3.5.7) which obviously is a big step which needs backups and testing..., you can try to change the functions in the Visforms core file and add the code change, made in Visforms 3.4.3.

Please make a backup copy of the components/com_visforms/models/visforms.php file
Then change the original
Code:
components/com_visforms/models/visforms.php
file.
Find the
Code:
private function sendReceiptMail($visform)
add
Code:
$mail->Encoding = 'base64';
after
Code:
$mail->IsHTML (true);
at the end of this function.

You can add this line to the
Code:
private function sendResultMail($visform)
as well (same position).

You don't need to worry about future updates of Visforms on your website because they will contain this code changes already.

Regards,
Aicha

:idea: I recommend you the new and up-to-date documentation for Joomla 4:
docs.joomla-5.visforms.vi-solutions.de/en/docs/
Most of this also applies retrospectively to Joomla 3.
Please only ask 1 question per topic :-).

:idea: Ich empfehle Dir die neue und aktuelle Dokumentation für Joomla 4:
docs.joomla-5.visforms.vi-solutions.de/docs/
Das meiste gilt rückwirkend auch für Joomla 3.
Bitte immer nur 1 Frage pro Thema stellen :-).

More
8 years 3 months ago #2409 by mikepritchard
Replied by mikepritchard on topic Email Receipt Text - length limit?
Thank you Aicha!!!
That fixed it, and thank you very much for the great explanation. That helps.
I didn't realize this version was so old, I had a problem with an upgrade of vis forms so haven't upgraded this one. When I get a chance I will test and upgrade.
Thanks again!

More
8 years 3 months ago #2413 by Administrator AV
Replied by Administrator AV on topic Email Receipt Text - length limit?
Hi Mike,

I'm very glad to hear that I could help you!
You're welcome.

I know, that updating Joomla! and Visforms from an old(er) version is a big deal and I can understand if you are reluctant.

I try to improve the features available in Visforms continiously, that is why I sometimes have to adapt the database, refactor the code, remove old files and add new one's and so on. I really tried to create update scripts that run fully automatically, so that the update is as easy as possible but of course I sometimes make mistakes or do not anticipate things so it is always possible that the update does not work as good as I would like it to work on a specific installation. Therefore the most important thing for me is a good backup before you start updating. I use Akeeba Backup all the time. It is simply great.

Regards,
Aicha

:idea: I recommend you the new and up-to-date documentation for Joomla 4:
docs.joomla-5.visforms.vi-solutions.de/en/docs/
Most of this also applies retrospectively to Joomla 3.
Please only ask 1 question per topic :-).

:idea: Ich empfehle Dir die neue und aktuelle Dokumentation für Joomla 4:
docs.joomla-5.visforms.vi-solutions.de/docs/
Das meiste gilt rückwirkend auch für Joomla 3.
Bitte immer nur 1 Frage pro Thema stellen :-).

Moderators: Administrator AVAdministrator IV